May / 12
Nick found this recipe online the other day and we absolutely loved it. It’s a little unusual for a Brussels sprouts recipe because they aren’t cooked, but it takes no time to make and is pretty darn good.
- 24 Brussels sprouts, shredded (we just used a bag of Brussels sprouts from Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano,
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, in pieces
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cinder vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (the recipe suggests 2 teaspoons, but the mustard adds good flavor so we increased the amount and used whole grain mustard)
- salt & pepper to taste
Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts and any wilted leaves and soak them in a bowl of water.
In the mean time, start toasting the walnuts in a pan on medium heat for about 5-8 min. Cut up the Brussels sprouts into small pieces. You can use a knife or a mandolin, or if you’d like to make it more like a slaw you can throw them into a food processor to make fine pieces. Then put the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper into a container with a lid and shake it until all of the ingredients are well mixed.
Put the chopped up Brussels sprouts into a mixing bowl and add the cheese and walnuts.
Pour on the dressing and mix it all together, then eat! We made this with a lemon chicken breasts and they went together really well.
REST DAY 05.13.12
Happy Mother’s Day to all of the moms and moms to be!